Wednesday, December 18, 2013

GYM BALL!

Last Saturday, I went over to Madison's house and we got ready together for the Gym Ball. The Gym Ball is the big (and only) dance they have at my school. Anyone can go, you just have to buy a ticket. It was in a rented out ballroom/club in Basel. We shared a date. Our friend Petter from Norway (also and exchange student). When we got to the dance we showed the first guy at the door our tickets. Then when we got in, we had to show another guy our ID. Depending on our age, he gave us a wristband. Red if you're under 16. Yellow if your 16 or 17. And Green if you are 18 and above. This was so the bartenders knew if they could sell you alcohol. Yes, there was a bar at my school dance! It's just one of the cultural differences that I've been noticing between the United States and Europe. Alcohol is not as big of a deal over here and the people know how to be responsible. There was no one out of hand or acting crazy because of too much alcohol. And there were a lot of people there.
I had a really great time dancing with my friends. The music was a little different (more techno than I'm use to). But overall it was a fun night. We left the dance around 3:15 in the morning. I split paying for a taxi with my friends (otherwise it would have been a long walk to the train station). I caught the last train for that time of the morning, but I did not have a bus when I got back to my town.  Fortunately, it is only a 15 minute walk home from the train station. I made it home at 4:20.

                                                        Petter and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment