Saturday, August 10, 2013

My first day!!!

I began my Journey on August 9th. My mom, dad, and Kyle took me to the airport. My flight out of Kansas City ended up being delayed by an hour and a half because of bad weather, so I was nervous I would be later for my flight out of Washington Dulles. When we arrived to Dulles they had the people who had to make connecting flights get off first. So when I was getting off a lady next to me asked me where I was going to. When I told her Zurich the couple in front of me said they were going there too and I could just follow them because they knew the gate number. The plane to Dulles was small so everyone had to put their second carry on bag under the plane. So after we got off we still had to wait longer to get our stuff. The guy and me waited for the suitcases while his wife went on to the gate to hopefully get them to wait for us if they were getting ready to leave. When we got the suitcases the guy and me started to run to the gate. I don't know if it's because my backpack was really heavy, I was really tired, or because I'm out of shape, but I was so out of breathe and could hardly run. It took so much effort! But the guy wasn't exactly a track star either so we only ran halfway then ended up fast walking the rest of the way. Luckily, we made it!! And the plane to Zurich ended up leaving an hour late anyway. It was about an 8 hour flight, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not sleep!

Here is a photo out of my window in the morning! It was beautiful to see the sunrise from a plane. The colors were so bright! 

When I got into Zurich, I went through customs without any problems and I got my checked bag. Waiting for me was my host father, Peter, my counselor, Dominique, my youth exchange officer, Mike, and his daughter Steffi (who just got back from her exchange in Canada). They were all so nice! We stopped at a place for water and croissants. Then we started the drive to Rheinfelden, which was a little under an hour. They could all speck English well, but I could pick up a few words when they spoke German. They also got me a cell phone to use while I'm here. 

When we got to Rheinfelden, Peter showed me around the house, which is HUGE!!!! It is four stories tall! And guess where my room is!!! The fourth floor!!! I will definitely be getting my exercise going up all those stairs everyday! It's a beautiful home and it is decorated nicely. They have a lot of different art that is very beautiful and interesting. I got to meet the rest of my host family, and they made it very clear that this was my home now. 

After showing me around the house, Peter took me around the historic part of Rheinfelden that they live, which is more than 800 years old! Peter knows a lot about the town history and told me all about it. 



This yellow tent is for the Natur-und Volgetschutzverein. Which is basically an organization of people that take care of the Storks and other wildlife in the area. Storks are very important to Rheinfelden The even have a tower dedicated to them, and today I was very lucky and able to go up in it. It is usually locked, but there is a reelection coming up in Rheinfeld and all the candidates were out around town giving speeches, talking with people, and (what I liked best) giving out free food and drinks. 

                                This is a view of the Rhein River from the Stork Tower. 



I also went to Germany today! This is a picture of Rheinfelden, Switzerland from the bridge connecting it with Germany! Peter was telling me that people will jump off the bridge and swim down to another part of the Rhine. But then he started telling me how people had jumped off the wrong part of the bridge and died because the current pushed them under. So Peter said "Never jump off the bridge into the Rhein! But when you do jump off over there." And he showed me the safe part to jump. I'm not sure if I will be doing that or not.

Peter also showed me inside the Church by his house. I was awestruck when I went in! It is so beautiful! he said it was 1000 years old. 




The art in the church is so detailed and there is so much of it. I just love it! Peter is a priest but he is  Christian Catholic. They broke away from the Roman catholic church and so they have different rules. Priests can get married and have children and women can also be priests. 

I ended up taking a nap after lunch (which was delicious!) I woke up to music. Someone was having a party in a yard nearby and I could hear people singing and playing instruments. It was a lovely way to wake up. 
I went downstairs to the kitchen, and my mother Katherine had made some chocolate mousse. It was so good!!!!! 
After that Peter and I walked around town some more. 
Between the 2 big buildings you can see a small sliver of a building. That is the smallest house in Rheinfelden. 

I had a great day, and I looks like the start to a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment