Wednesday, November 27, 2013

This isn't about Switzerland

This is about my hometown of Fayette. I know this blog is about suppose to be about my time in Switzerland, but we're going to have a nice reflection and think about the world moment. A lawsuit was brought against Fayette High School by the American Humanist Association for having morning prayer devotions and now the Westboro Baptist church is now planning to picket at the school for I don't even really know the reason why. I had to read their flyer for it about 3 times because there was so much craziness. I'm not writing to tell you what you should believe. I'm not telling you if prayer should be in school or not. I'm writing because I'm confused. I'm confused on why this is what people's time and effort is going into. My friend Nica's home country was basically destroyed a couple of weeks ago and there are people without food and water. Everyday in so many places people are dying from starvation and sickness. Even in the United States people are struggling to find a job and support their families. And yet this is what people are concerned about. To me this is such a trivial matter. There are bigger problems in this world that peoples efforts could be focused on. It makes me sad to think about (I actually cried a little bit), but it also gives me the opportunity to reflect on how I'm spending my time and where my efforts are going. Hopefully somewhere good and beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment